[Tagging] "new" highway tag for small and informal footpaths; trail

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Oct 22 17:48:14 BST 2010

On 10/22/2010 11:28 AM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>> Isn't this what highway=path or highway=track is for?
>
> highway=track is for ways that are wide enough for two-tracked vehicles.
>
> highway=path is indeed what would currently be used for informal
> footpaths. But it can also be used to describe intentionally built, well
> maintained and paved ways.
>
> Because the difference between ways that would currently be tagged as a
> "path" can be very significant, it makes sense to split small informal
> footpaths into their own highway category.

I like the idea, but I don’t think splitting it into a separate
highway=* value will work out very well.  I especially think that coming
up with a clear definition of a "trail" is going to be difficult, even
if the difference among such ways is large. I think a combination of
surface=*, width=*, and smoothness=* [ducking for cover] is more
appropriate to show this, unless you’re able to come up with a good
definition.

If you can come up with a good definition I’d certainly support it on a
separate tag (path:type=trail?)

—Alex Mauer “hawke”