[Tagging] atms with names?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 10:12:24 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 10/22/10 1:45 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> 2010/10/22 Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>:
>>>
>>> for ATMs, brand and operator are likely to be the same, as what
>>> the user really wants to know is if it's his bank, or one that will hit
>>> him up with extra charges. so i'd say use the street name of the
>>> financial institution.
>>
>> Don't know in your country, in Germany we have different situations:
>> there is "cash group" with 5 or so private mayor players in banking
>> (you don't pay fees on any of them if you're account holder on one).
>
> the situation is different in the US, and hard to map with current
> OSM tagging conventions. ATMs can serve multiple "networks",
> and cards can work in multiple networks, but no-fee is restricted
> to ATMs belonging to card holder's financial institution.

If we want to get precise (or pedantic), that isn't quite accurate.
It's your bank's ATMs, plus any other bank your bank has an agreement
with.

For example, as a credit union member, I've never payed a fee at
another credit union ATM. I don't know if that's universal or just a
feature of the credit unions I choose to go to.

But then there's also another bank I belong to which doesn't have any
branded ATMs, but gives me a list of ATMs in my area where I won't be
charged a fee.

An accurate map of ATMs to determine fees would be very hard for us to make.

- Serge