[Tagging] Tagging several old_name's

Dmitry Granovsky dima.granovsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 07:16:07 BST 2010

Hi all,

There are lots of toponyms that change their names several times
throughout their history. It seems that a single old_name tag is
fairly insufficient if we just enumerate all the semicolon-separated
values, and so is the old_nameN way since both don't state anything
about the order of renaming.

The task I think of is something like "What was the name of this
street in the year YYYY?". The start_date tag is seemingly
inappropriate since it refers to the while object, not only its name.
Some relation would probably be good but it's unclear what objects
could go in.

Does anyone have any ideas? (If I missed a previous discussion on the
same topic, could you please point that to me.)

--
Best regards,
Dmitry V. Granovsky