[Tagging] Difference between footway and pedestrian

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 22:54:30 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically pedestrian is for things in urban areas, like streets,
> footway is for paths in parks and in woods..

Not quite. Sidewalks in urban areas are highway=footway.
Highway=pedestrian is essentially something that could be a normal
highway, but from which motor vehicles are banned.

Here's an example I tagged as highway=pedestrian:
http://www.central-florida-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wall-street-plaza-orlando.jpg
It's officially a public street named Wall Street, and businesses have
Wall Street addresses.

highway=footway is for anything smaller that is primarily or only for
foot use, including a sidewalk, but also a narrow alleyway between
buildings that can be walked but not driven on (such as this one just
north of Wall Street:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.543023,-81.379074&spn=0.001984,0.00515&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=28.543023,-81.379074&panoid=sLjJOfUH9QA3ExQ2CfaM8Q&cbp=12,95.82,,0,0.88).

highway=path or highway=track can also be used for some footways;
there's some overlap between the tags.