[Tagging] Waterway direction

Pierre-Alain Dorange pdorange at mac.com
Wed Sep 1 06:19:32 BST 2010

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Mmh... It say that you can go on this waterway (on boat) only in this
> > direction. oneway is a restriction, not a direction...
>
> Yes, like oneway=yes on a road means you can only walk that way... oh.

No oneway apply to the main transport vehicule that the way is intend to
be used.
oneway is a legal restriction,i don't see flow as legal
restrictionnoonehas vote to decide the flow direction.

And remember that it really exist real oneway on waterway for boat,if
you allready used oneway for another thing how would you tag those onway
for boat ?

> Anyway, bug filed: http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3198

A bug... there is few maps (even commercial) that "render" the flow
direction. I dont see this issue as a bug but perhaps a missing feature
or a request feature.

Your solution would be to use a new tag, something like flow_direction
for example. It would fix all problems at once and then mapnik (and
others) could a day use this tag to render flow...

--
Pierre-Alain Dorange