[Tagging] Waterway direction

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Sep 1 07:54:18 BST 2010

  On 31.08.2010 20:58, David Earl wrote:
> Just to throw something else into this discussion...
>   highway=steps
> It doesn't (or at least, isn't documented as) have direction, but
> _could_ have in the same way as rivers (direction of way is down the
> steps, say).
To quote the wiki: (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Steps)
"Discussion
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dsteps> whether
the *direction of the way* should point up- or downhill is so far been
inconclusive. It's possible to tag this explicitly using incline
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:incline>=up
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:incline%3Dup> or incline
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:incline>=down
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:incline%3Ddown>. An alternative
unofficial way has been to use direction
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:direction>=up
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:direction%3Dup> or direction
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:direction>=down
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:direction%3Ddown>, which are
equivalent to the incline tags."

I think, incline and direction are both accepted and widely used; I
often tag both to make it useful to as much applications as possible.
But there is nothing like "steps are always drawn in direction from low
to high" - at least that's not documented.