[Tagging] crossing over living street

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Sep 1 14:19:59 BST 2010

  Hi.
I'm not sure wether it's the same issue international.
Normally I tag crossings with three nodes:
- node at the intersection of street and footway, tagged with
highway=crossing, crossing=unmarked|uncontrolled|traffic_signals|...
- nodes left and right of the crossing describing the curb, tagged with
tactile_paving=yes|no, sloped_curb=0|low|normal|high|* (where * is the
measured height)

My problem is: What tags should I use to describe the crossing of a
footway over a living street.

Living streets are - at least in Germany, so I'm not sure if this
question is specific for Germany or not - streets where pedestrians have
the same rights as cars: cars have to let pedestrians cross, pedestrians
are allowed to walk in the middle of the street - but have to make space
for cars to drive through, if needed.

Straight following the normal tagging scheme this would lead to tagging
this crossings as

crossing=unmarked, no additional curb-nodes (where the footway merges
with the living street without curb etc. - neither visible nor tactile
sensorable).

But: I'm not sure wether that fits. It's NOT a normal unmarked crossing
- typically relatively unsecure in relation to traffic-signals or zebra
crossings.
It's secure because pedestrians have the right of way here.

Any ideas?

regards
Peter