[Tagging] Using route=road to group the segments of a street (was: Re: Reasons for associatedStreet?)

Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:08:57 BST 2010

2010/9/1 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> +1, e.g. it allows you to download and select the complete road with
> one command.

But what's a "road"? All segments with the same name? Continuing
Segments of the same road type or administrative class, even if other
ways with the same name branch off? etc...

In reality, there are only segments of roads between intersections, or
even smaller,  that (roughly) share the same attributes - we have the
same in OSM, with split segments where attributes change.

It's not the target of road construction/traffic planning to conserve
the structures of historical grown street networks, so these problems
will always be there, at least if we don't have a proper definition
for what a "road" should be. ;-)

Maybe it would be better to be able to download connected ways sharing
specified tags via the API in some future version.

-Martin