[Tagging] Using route=road to group the segments of a street (was: Re: Reasons for associatedStreet?)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:50:11 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> unless you want it to check for relation membership
>> whenever a way is split (which makes it impossible to work offline),
>> there's no way to completely avoid the problem.
>
> You could always check for relation membership right before uploading,
> and present the dialogs at that point.
I'm not sure if this would work. If you save a .osm file and close and
reopen JOSM before uploading, does it know that certain ways were
split?

>> How are you going to avoid relation damage from incomplete uploads?
>
> Make sure you upload the relation and the ways in the same POST
> request.  Those are guaranteed to be all-or-none, right?

I wouldn't know, but I do know that Potlatch uploads all ways, then
all relations. Presumably the maximum size of a POST request is
smaller than a large changeset.