[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Feature Proposal - Voting - Craft

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 17:54:02 BST 2010

I guess I'm a little confused by the description "A place producing or
processing customised goods" as it doesn't seem to fit some of these
occupations, especially what I'd think of as the "building trades": HVAC,
electrician, carpentry, carpet, roofing, plaster, plumber, etc.  At least in
the US, these workers usually do their work on-site, and while they may have
a office or building they're based at, they may or may not even go there
daily.  So, nothing much is "produced or processed" at the location that
would be tagged in OSM.  So, maybe a different description, or different tag
for these. I see there's already a different usage described on the wiki for
shop=trade, but to me, it would make sense to tag shop=trade,
trade=plumbing|roofing etc.

One side note, maybe carpentry should be like the mechanic idea, and
craft=carpentry, carpentry = [formwork|cabinetry|framing|etc]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpentry#Types_and_occupations

Brad