[Tagging] landuse=single family houses/apartments

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 01:51:29 BST 2010

2010/9/8 Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net>:
> At 2010-09-04 09:12, Erik Johansson wrote:

> I've taken a slightly different approach. I use landuse=residential to
> outline the entire related area. I then add that way to a relation with
> role=boundary. I add the various buildings, roads leading to and within,
> swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. to the relation. On the relation itself,
> I tag:
>
> type=site
> + site=housing
> + housing={house|apartment|condominium|mobile_home|public_housing}

that's fine, but adding simply the tag
housing={house|apartment|condominium|mobile_home|public_housing}
to the landuse=residential polygon would have a similar effect. (More
complicated to evaluate, but more "fool-proof" because you can't
forget to add houses  to the relation).

> : house is a single-family detached dwelling where the owner owns the land
> and the buildings on it
> : apartment is a multi-family dwelling where the tenants pay rent to the
> owner of the buildings and land
> : condominium is where the tenant "owns" the building (or part of one, as
> they are often attached like apartments), but not the land, and pays
> proportional rent and maintenance fees for the land and common areas.
> : mobile_home is similar to condominium, but using pre-fabricated housing
> instead of permanent structures
> : public_housing is generally apartments (though occasionally houses) that
> are owned by a government agency and occupied by low-income/disabled
> tenants.

Your system is a mixture of typology and ownership.

The owner situation might be quite dependent on cultur (even locally,
i.e. differing from one city to another). In Berlin for instance there
are traditionally many people in rented apartments, but you will also
quite often find mixed situations: owners and leasers door to door in
the same building.

There are also people that rent a detached house. I wouldn't
incorporate ownership in the definition, even though it might fit in
all cases in your area, but I'm not sure about this for condominiums:
it seems that they are distinguished like this from blocks of flats.

The usual building types for residential houses are:
- single house (detached house)
- semi-detached house (duplex)
- terraced house
- apartment building (block of flats)

then there is a variety of other types and subtypes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_house_types

for the landuse it might also be interesting to point to urban typology:
"closed typology" (I miss the urban term): all buildings are built
directly adjacent without space between:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Geschlossene_Bauweise.png&filetimestamp=20091002081248
this is the "normal" typology for (old) cities
"open typology" there are spaces between the buildings (detached
buildings, not necessarily houses)
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Offene_Bauweise.png&filetimestamp=20091002081341

a particular part of the "open typology" is called "Zeilenbau" in
German, which my dictionary translates as "continuous rows of houses"
(probably not a good term), example here:
http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/119/wollishofen_neubuhl.jpg

Actually this is a really wide field, there are endless singular
projects and exceptions, and there are huge cultural differences:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Karlsruher_Stadtansicht.jpg&filetimestamp=20070406065622
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Voisin2.jpg&filetimestamp=20100318233108
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Dubai_Sports_City_Model_Pict_5.jpg&filetimestamp=20070930203503
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Algier.png&filetimestamp=20050309181158
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gated_community

I think we should develop different generic criteria which allow us to
classify the building typology. These might be:
- number of floors
- open/closed urban typology
- single unit on one floor or several floors (internal steps inside the unit?)
- gardens?
- distribution of public space / semipublic spaces
- density (usually calculated by total living surface area divided
through site surface area)
- amount of units in one building

this is intended to be a first brainstorming, there might also be
other criteria or some of the above might not be valid/good ones.

cheers,
Martin