[Tagging] landuse=single family houses/apartments

Simon Biber simonbiber at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 8 05:32:28 BST 2010

On Wed, 8 September, 2010 1:47:22 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

> The problem with mixing ownership terms with building structure terms is that
>you can't generally distinguish ownership by appearance, short of there being
>signs stating the fact, or making inquiries.  I have heard of cases where some
>units in a multi-household structure would be owned by the residents, while
>other units would be available for lease, or even rented out month-by-month.

That is the usual case for units in Australia. Most apartment buildings are
divided into  separate property for each apartment. The owner of each apartment
pays  fees to a body corporate, which administers and maintains the building
structure, common areas and surrounding land. Each owner may live in or  rent
out his/her apartment and does not require anyone's permission to  do so. So
there's usually a mix of both.