[Tagging] [OpenStreetMap] social facility

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 21:15:54 BST 2010

Yup, i prefer the tagging-tree approach where more tags can be used to
narrow down the specifics of what it is you are trying to map.

For the end user who is using a Garmin GPS, there are only a specific
set of key/value combinations, so i want to ensure that the key/value
used in OSM can quickly be narrowed down to the as descriptive as 2 or
3 words can be used.

However, in osm-land, it is possible to include presets when users
chose a feature to map.  ie.
You shouldn't be able to select a 'surface' key, until you have used
another key/value pair.   (highway=* landuse=* amenity=* name=* area=*
etc.) something needs to be used for the surface is chosen.   It
answers the question "Surface OF what?"

And also, 'building=yes'  is an attribute key, and can be used along
with many other tags, where the feature 'most likely' is a building.

Because in osm-land both schools of thought (less tags with use of '_'
and or ':')  are used interchangeably, we can have a 'tagging
re-direct system', which is used outside of osm-land, which will tell
the renderers and map makers (products) and map editing softwares  the
list of all of the map features that are written in multiple ways, but
mean the same thing.

So anyway, thanks for the tips :)  I'm now adding more to the
SchemaTroll 2.01 tagging schema system.    Hopefully it will work :)
Once i get somewhere cohesive, i'll write the wiki page / external
document about it.

Cheers,
Sam

P.S. So to answer the below question, Sure, yes we can make it work :)