[Tagging] sneaking in tags in the wiki

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:59:49 BST 2010

Recently I stumbled upon a tag sneaked into the wiki without (AFAIK)
any discussion or announcement on this list.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dgive_way

Actually we do have a proposal process and if the creator would have
used it, there probably wouldn't be such a bad description. There are
no indications on how to use this (on a node part of the highway or
beside it). Why is this a highway-tag? There are already well
established ways to tag traffic signs (traffic_sign).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_sign

If people would ask here before simply sneaking in tags, there would
probably be less mess in the wiki and our tagging structure.

cheers,
Martin