[Tagging] sneaking in tags in the wiki

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:56:26 BST 2010

Am 15. September 2010 19:53 schrieb Matthias Meißer <digi_c at arcor.de>:
> Hi Martin,
>
> you spot exactly the point. There are a few tags in different tagging pages
> that have one of this: no discussion, not wellknown, unvoted

the problem is, that until they fit into our common logics they are
quite welcome to me, but if they don't they create initially hard to
spot problems and chaos.

> I started a topic back in August with the aim to clean the wiki:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-August/003518.html
> but there was no real result cause some abandoned the voting/proposal
> process.

I know. Thing is that you were generally assuming that all tags should
be voted for. I want far less: some note that someone wants to add a
new tag to a page would be fine for me, and he should IMHO procede as
long as there aren't objections against it.

> So I decided to create a template to avoid that newbies use it instead of
> well known alternatives:

if there are established alternatives for the same thing I'd probably
move the tag to discussion page instead of simply marking it. Marks
are better then nothing though.

cheers,
Martin