[Tagging] RFC: more barrier types

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Sep 21 13:34:25 BST 2010

  On 9/21/10 8:06 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/9/21 Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>:
>> i'd say jersey_barrier is fine for the concrete, it's a more commonly known
>> term than k-rail and nobody will be confused by it.
>> but i'd use impact attenuator for the plastic sand/water filled barriers.
>
> do we really need 2 different main tags for the same object in plastic
> and concrete?

i'm not sure they're really the same, despite appearances.

here's a catalog of some of the various attenuator and other
safety products i found with a quick trip to google:

http://www.energyabsorption.com/products_permanent.asp
http://www.energyabsorption.com/products_workzone.asp

i would note that jersey barrier refers to a specific type, which
has two different slopes, designed to manage the direction
in which vehicles hitting it go. some of the plastic barrier
systems do look like jersey barrier but others are distinctly
different. if we want capture all rectilinear barriers, jersey
barrier is the wrong term, it is overly specific.

richard