[Tagging] Interpreting "One feature, one OSM-object"

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:03:26 BST 2010

On 22/09/2010 13:36, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Pierre-Alain Dorange<pdorange at mac.com>  wrote:
>
>> With JOSM you can achieve that by drawing a way by clicking on the node
>> one by one. It will draw a new way using the same nodes.
>>
> That is okay for a couple nodes, but is error prone and tedious for
> hundreds of nodes (like if you are matching an outline of a beach to
> the existing coastline nodes).

on JOSM :
copy the way (ctr + C),
create a new layer (ctrl + N) and don't clic in it,
paste the way (ctrl + V) (the nodes are at the same place),
put the tags,
merge the layers,
merge the duplicated nodes (validator plugin),
done !

>> There are several "school" for such situation (ie. boundary+river) :
>> * some tell to redraw completly all things (node + ways) so that it can
>> be later into several layers (if OSM handle layer someday).
>> * some split boundary and add tags (reuse nodes and ways)
>> * some redraw way using the same nodes
>>
>> All have advantage and disadvantage : numbers of nodes, creating dupe
>> nodes (QA warnings), maintenance difficulty...
>>
> So this is an ongoing issue with no real concensus or agreement?

yes. I use the 3d way (drawing 2 ways sharing nodes). I prefer this
method for the reason given : if the bank/flow changes, the border may not.
But it is a mapping style...
--
FrViPofm