[Tagging] Re-organizing food "things"?

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Mon Sep 27 10:21:37 BST 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:11:08 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:49 AM, David Paleino
> <dapal at debian.org> wrote:
> > On a related note: me and some other people on #osm-it were thinking about
> > re-organizing the "food" tagging (take "food" as an example in the
> > following). Something like: amenity=food +
> > food=cafe|fast_food|restaurant|... This way, we would avoid the amenity
> > "overcrowding", and have a more structured tagging scheme.
>
> How about retail=food (or drop the food: retail=restaurant/etc.)? Why
> use amenity at all?

I believe retail=cafe|restaurant|... would become too polluted. We risk
creating another amenity= or highway=. From en.wiki:

    Retail consists of the sale of goods or merchandise from a fixed location,
    such as a department store, boutique or kiosk, or by mail, in small or
    individual lots for direct consumption by the purchaser.

I'd say +1 to retail=food and food=cafe|restaurant|... though. Still, I believe
"food" is not enough wide; we also have places where they primarily sell drinks
(bar and biergarten come to mind). Unless we don't want to move them under this
new hierarchy, that is.

> An area of food places will be landuse=retail, and a consistent hierarchy
> will be easier to tag.

I agree with this.

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino