[Tagging] musings on landuse

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:28:02 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>  On 27/09/2010 10:19, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> But what I'm mostly concerned with is having a limited number of
>> "top-level" landuse values. For example a large residential
>> neighborhood can be tagged landuse=residential, but there's no similar
>> value for an area full of government buildings or a tourist strip.
>
> What's a tourist strip?
A large linearly-oriented area devoted to tourist uses, like the Las
Vegas Strip or Orlando's International Drive
(http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/visitorInformation/maps.asp).

>> (But back to the linked discussion: I use nested landuse polygons all
>> the time; a named residential neighborhood can have a small retail
>> area within it that's considered to be part of the neighborhood.
>
> Personally I don't name the area because
>
> a) The defining boundary is always a bit vague
Not in many cases, such as a gated community or a platted suburban
subdivision. For example, this land was all platted as various phases
of MetroWest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1130720

> b) Depending on the shape of the boundary the label doesn't always display
> within it.
This could be fixed in the renderer.