[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - social facility

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 21:57:38 BST 2010

2010/9/27 kerosin <kerosin.osm at googlemail.com>:
> Hey Martin,
>
> I would tag this as with amenity=community_centre! Our aim with that
> "social_facility"-proposal is to capture facilities for people with
> disadvantages or people in needs. The amenity you're describing is more
> general and responsive to everyone.

yes, I agree, I was a little bit confused because I know that some of
the "centri sociali" are tagges as social=centre, and I read some
discussion for this proposal that wanted to incorporate these, but
reading your proposal I recognized that the idea behind it was
different.

> Your're right maybe we should add a definition to clarify our approach!

yes, more then clarify it will be easier to get at a glimpse what it
is about. Generally your proposal is already good and OSM needs this.
I would add a headline2 ("definition" or something similar) above
reasoning and put the following sentence there: "Social facilities
come in many different types and generally focus on improving the
lives of people. (For the details see below)." Or something similar. I
took your sentence and deleted the "through a variety of holistic and
focused services" part, because either they are focused or not, either
they are holistic or not (they might all pretend to be, not sure), it
doesn't really matter for the definition.

Some other amendments that come to my mind:
social_facility=assisted_living "A non-residential facility that
supports the living needs of those who can't fully support themselves
(comprising ambulantory services). e.g. home nurses". I know of
assisted_living as residential facility. Usually it is for the
"richer" part of the population, because it is more expensive than a
nursery home to live there. Often the residents are the proprietors of
the appartments and pay for the nurse/medical service.

In some countries (first one worldwide 1986 in Berne, CH; in
Northamerica 2003 in Vancouver "safe injection site") there are
facilities for drug addicts where they can go and take their drugs
without beeing disturbed. Would that qualify for this tag?

I also know of a restaurant where a lot of the employees suffer from
down syndrome, but the restaurant is open to the public, you won't
necessarily consider this a "social_facility" still it is.

There should IMHO also be a subtag social_facility=counsel (?) for
places that give advice and support (with a subtag for which kind of
advice you get), e.g. family planning, people who live in a rented
place, drug addicts, people with debts, psycologic advice, etc.

cheers,
Martin