[Tagging] New proposal: water=*

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Apr 1 15:33:12 BST 2011

On 01/04/2011 05:30, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Hi.
>
> At some point we've been fed up with fixing name=Pond and such, so I guess
> it's time to be more specific about what natural=water is. I suggest a new
> detail tag, water=*. It's pretty straightforward, but there are some
> deprecations (which at this point can't deprecate anything because there
> are a lot of water bodies on the map), so it could use a discussion.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details

Aren't most of these in use already?

"water=river     A body of river, which is currently mapped as
waterway=riverbank."

You seem to be unaware of waterway=river. Please refer to his for a
complete tagging guide:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driverbank

I realize this is a proposal page but as a general note on wiki
creation, I believe there should be no examples of XML code.
The wiki is predominately used by newbies looking for clear & simple
explanations. XML is 'behind the scenes' and not relevant to end users.
Anything that looks like programming code (I'm aware it isn't) just
scares many potential users away with the feeling it's too complicated.

Cheers
Dave F.