[Tagging] Any support for a flow tag?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:38:31 BST 2011

2011/4/1 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

> On 4/1/2011 9:53 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> flow of waterways in mapnik would help to fix those errors, because more
>> people would become aware.
>> mapping error. What if a coastline is drawn the other way? Rendering the
>>

> Still doesn't deal with unknown or abnormal flow. For a coastline, it's
> obvious which side is land, but it's not always obvious which way a waterway
> flows (if it even has a constant flow).

Yes of course. I set FIXME=please check flow direction if I am unsure
(usually you can deduct the flow direction but there is rare cases where it
is not possible). I have never come across a waterway with changing flow
direction, but I don't exclude that this does exist, so the suggested
directional / flow tag could have a benefit for these. Another solution
would be to not consider these cases part of {river, stream, canal, drain,
ditch}, but rather invent another tag for them.

cheers,
Martin