[Tagging] landuse: illegal and illegal:yes/no

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Apr 2 14:38:26 BST 2011

On 02/04/2011 06:48, Peter Gervai wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 01:09, Dave F.<davefox at madasafish.com>  wrote:
>> Guessing has no place in OSM.
> What about smoothness? tracktype? (operator for that matter? how many
> checks official company papers?)

Err...

Operator is verifiable, whether it's done is an entirely different subject.

Tracktype is verifiable against a visual scale:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tracktype

As I said, guessing is not useful for OSM, so smoothness, as it's
implemented at the moment is, to use one of it's adjective tags -
"horrible". It needs a photo related grading scale similar to tracktype.

Back on subject:

Just because other tags unfortunately use subjective guesswork doesn't
give you the right to do the same.

>> Please take advice from the vast majority of repliers&  drop this proposal.
> I'm taking slowly, but still got positive feedbacks. And most majority
> was worried about the legal sidetrack, didn't you notice?

Hardly surprising when your proposed tag is 'illegal'!

So what if a the dumps/houses/graveyards are illegal? That has nothing
to do with OSM.
As others have pointed out OSM is a geographic map. Tag what you see on
the ground.

Illegal is a subjective adjective & has no place in the physical world
of OSM. Again, please drop this proposal.

Dave F.