[Tagging] RFC: Directional Flow

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sun Apr 3 12:51:28 BST 2011

Am 03.04.2011 11:52, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> 2011/4/3 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com <mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com>>
>

>     There you can use incline=* to be explicit.
>

> Yes, I know, but when I started mapping back in 2/2008 there was no
> incline proposal, and later I found it sufficient to keep the implicit
> information. Nobody used to draw plans would draw steps downwards. It
> is out of imagination.
I think, it's understandable, that you found it sufficient, but I think,
it isn't.
The problem again is, that mappers are not used to draw plans like an
architekt; and there are applications where the direction of the stairs
is important: You can fall down steep stairs, but it's not as dangerous
to "fall up" stairs.
That could be used for the security estimation for children, for blind
people it is important, too.

Additionally it could be useful to make assumptions about heights of the
environment, if I know, which end of the stairs is above the other.

regards
Peter