[Tagging] landuse: illegal and illegal:yes/no

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Apr 4 12:50:28 BST 2011

On 03/04/2011 09:55, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2011/4/2 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>>
>
>     Tracktype is verifiable against a visual scale:
>     http://wiki.openstreetmcan't givap.org/wiki/Tracktype
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tracktype>
>

> but as it depends much on the climate and surface material /
> vegatation / ground it still has to be "adopted" to the local
> situation. The photos work well in the UK / Germany, but
> can't be blindly used all over the globe, descriptions are not worse
> for this.
>
>     As I said, guessing is not useful for OSM, so smoothness, as it's
>     implemented at the moment is, to use one of it's adjective tags -
>     "horrible". It needs a photo related grading scale similar to
>     tracktype.
>

> there is one:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness

Yeah..., but as I said the values are rubbish. I mean, horrible to whom?
A person with a pram might describe it so, but a mountain biker would
probably love it.

A numerical grade would be much a much better solution.

>             Please take advice from the vast majority of repliers&
>              drop this proposal.
>
>         I'm taking slowly, but still got positive feedbacks. And most
>         majority
>         was worried about the legal sidetrack, didn't you notice?
>

>     Hardly surprising when your proposed tag is 'illegal'!
>

> what part of "illegal" is subjective? IMHO it is quite objective:
> anything against the law is "illegal".

There are many disagreements where land area or borders are contested
with each side claiming it illegal. They can't both be right.

My fear is that this adjective tag will be used without it being proved
in law.

>     Illegal is a subjective adjective & has no place in the physical
>     world of OSM. Again, please drop this proposal.
>

> OSM is not only about the physical world. THere is so many counter
> examples I don't even have to name one...

There may be examples in use, but that doesn't make it right. It's not a
valid reason to add another to them.

Cheers
Dave F.