[Tagging] Sports_centre, gym, dojo

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Apr 8 21:27:55 BST 2011

On 4/8/2011 4:05 PM, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
> What you refer to as "gym" sounds like what I'd call a "health club" or
> "fitness club". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_club  Is it supposed
> to be tagged as sports centre?  The wiki description makes me think a
> sports centre is a pretty large structure, whereas there are some pretty
> small health club locations.

    I agree that a fitness club/center doesn't fit well as a sports
centre - which I would visualize as having multiple types of facilities
for competitive and/or community social purposes.   I also think that
"Fitness center" is the best overall category name; "xxx club" has
negative or exclusive connotations in the US because of restrictive,
scammy, or 1-sided contracts.

> Regarding dojos, is there something that could apply more generally than
> dojo (which seems to usually be used for martial arts)?  For example,
> there is a fencing club near me, or what about a small aerobics or yoga
> studio?

   I run across the small sport fencing / aerobics / yoga / pilates
types of facilities frequently.   It would seem that

   leisure=pitch
   sport=yoga/pilates/areobic_dance/fence...

   could be fit as a stretch.  Otherwise it would equally fit as

   leisure=fitness_centre
   sport=yoga/pilates/areobic_dance/fence/mixed...

  Or

   leisure=fitness_centre
   weight_machines=yes
   aerobics=yes