[Tagging] Sports_centre, gym, dojo

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:04:46 BST 2011

On 9 April 2011 05:24, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=sports_centre
> might include racquet sport courts, a gymnasium, exercise equipment, a
> running track and an ice hockey rink.

Around here, that might also include an "indoor sports centre" (indoor
cricket, soccer, "beach" volleyball, etc)

> What is the ideal tagging for a shop with exercise equipment for use.
> Treadmills, stair climbers, stationary bikes, free weights and weight
> machines for use by members.  Local slang here might call that a
> "gym".  amenity=gym is used in ~400 locations with sport=gym and
> leisure=gym each near 50.

We'd call that a gym as well, even though the sign might say fitness centre.

> Also locally, a "gymnasium" is a large indoor sport floor which can be
> configured for multiple sports like gymnastics, basketball,
> volleyball, murderball, etc.  taginfo says only 16 instances of
> leisure=gymnasium are in OSM at the moment.  A lone gymnasium would
> seem unusual around here.  They are typically included as part of a
> leisure=sports_centre.  Does that match with experiences elsewhere?

We rarely see them alone, but there would be more of them at schools
and camps around here than sports centres, though they have them too.

> Is the distinction between gym and gymnasium too fine?  Should
> synonyms be found?

Probably not a bad idea. When I was at school, we used to call the
school gymnasium the gym.  Though now, when I hear the word gym, I
expect it to be the fitness/weight training type place instead. I
don't really care what the tag is, as long as if you search for gym in
the wiki it directs you to the tag we decide on.

Stephen