[Tagging] How to tag reaches (segments of a waterway)?

Sat Apr 9 22:34:00 BST 2011

At 2011-04-09 01:22, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>I would like to map some named reaches ("straight portion of a stream
>or river, as from one turn to another;") part of a major river.
>
>The river (e.g.
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.50134&lon=150.8778&zoom=15&layers=M
>) currently has both a riverbank area drawn, and a way down the middle
>of the river. To make things even more complicated, the way running
>down the middle of the river has both waterway tags and administrative
>boundary tags.
>
>I'm thinking the ideal way to map this (reaches + river + admin
>boundary) would be split the way into segments for each reach, tag
>each segment as waterway=reach, name=Foo Reach, then collect up the
>river segments into a relation which contains waterway=river, name=Bar
>River, and just leave the riverbank area as is. Not sure what to do
>with the admin boundary tags though.

IANAH, but I would say splitting the existing ways is correct, but they
should retain all their existing tagging. It seems that "reach" describes a
part of a "river" - they are not mutually exclusive, so waterway=reach
would be the wrong approach. I would just add name:reach=blah to the
specific named reaches. It's probably also useful to group the segments
into a relation.