[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking (redux)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:15:16 BST 2011

2011/4/10 Flaimo <flaimo at gmail.com>:
> since there haven't been any new comments over the last couple of days
> i would like to start the voting for the proposal next weekend. here's
> the link again in case you haven't read it yet:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/parking

I am not sure if it is a good idea to put all these new tags into the
amenity namespace. Amenities are "general" features (e.g. mapnik tries
to render all of them) and the proposed tags like parking_space would
in a complete mapping state clutter the map.

If I get this right you suggest to consider amenity=parking as
preliminary and to replace it with amenity=parking_space for single
parking lots or groups of them, connected with relations?

I think this is too complicated for most cases. I suggest to continue
the use of an area with amenity=parking for outline of the whole
facility and optionally parking=parking_space for single or groups of
actual parking spaces (plus optionally all subtags for all kind of
details as suggested).

from your proposal:
========
    * Parking spaces always have to be grouped together in a relation.
In rare situations where there’s really only one single parking space
that is not somehow connected to any other spaces nearby,
"amenity=parking" should be applied.
    * A parking space should preferably be mapped as an area, but it
is also possible to use a node.
    * Each single space should be mapped as a separate area.
Exceptions for using one area to represent more than one space:
          o A lot of similar parking spaces side by side without any
differing attributes and you don't want to put that much afford into
it.
          o Spaces are just too small to map (for example for bicycle parking)
          o Satellite images aren't good enough and don’t allow the
mapping of single parking spaces, but you can still make out separate
groups of spaces.
    * It should not be used as a representation of one big single
parking area. Highways should not cross this areas.

maybe it would be easier to split this up in 2 proposals: one for
parking_spaces and one for complex parking relations.

cheers
Martin