[Tagging] Traffic Lights, but only for one direction on a highway that isn't divided

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Apr 14 00:34:55 BST 2011

On 04/13/2011 11:25 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2011/4/13 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4CneWT4ymM
>

> nice vid, looks as if the infrastructure planners were focusing on
> cars and not on bikes ;-)

It should be known that the bridge was shipped in from St. Louis and
assembled at it's present location in December 1910.  It's the first and
oldest vertical lift bridge in the world, and has had three major
retrofits to make it better withstand earthquakes (it crosses a major
faultline), and to better handle the 20,000+ cyclists it carries per day
(outnumbering cars and buses; there's been talk of converting the inside
lanes to four additional bicycle lanes, two each way, but not sure how
far it got before I moved).  Given it's age, and the fact the outside
lanes were added originally so trucks and buses could cross the bridge
(as the original lanes, inside the bridge superstructure, are narrow),
the bridge is old enough that it was originally designed around
nonmotorized or horse-drawn crossings, and ultimately ended up having
the approaches redone to handle increasingly large vehicle traffic.

>> (also, this video of the bridge crossing makes me wonder...how do you
>> tag two bike lanes in the same direction?
>

> lanes=2, oneway=yes
> it's the same as for cars. Otherwise it would be lanes=2, oneway=no

Is lanes=* overall number of lanes (in which the example where there's
two bicycle lanes would be a total of four lanes) or is it lanes open to
all traffic (which would be just two lanes)?