[Tagging] difference between cycletrack and cycleway

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:29:07 BST 2011

On 4/18/2011 9:50 AM, Sander Deryckere wrote:
> yes, my problem started with routing software. But then I noticed that
> the two usages are in fact different things.

Not really - we use the same tag (highway=unclassified/residential) for
a minor two-way frontage road
(http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.601978,-81.317662&spn=0.007865,0.020599&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.602754,-81.315139&panoid=EV7jbCGN5iNMrAlu4jMA7w&cbp=12,276.98,,0,7.41)
as for an ordinary minor road.

> btw, is there a difference in the number of intersections between a
> solitaire cycleway and a cycleway next to a road?

Yes, a sidepath will cross every driveway, while a path on its own
right-of-way generally has fewer crossings. Here's a typical sidepath
(which is actually built on an old railway grade):
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.632558,-81.498685&spn=0.007825,0.020599&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.632673,-81.498741&panoid=hYqQ2d1zImT4EYQvneXIGQ&cbp=12,148.91,,0,3.05