[Tagging] difference between cycletrack and cycleway

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:22:34 BST 2011

2011/4/18 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On 4/18/2011 10:25 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> It has different implications in some jurisdictions. E.g. in Germany
>> or Italy you have to use a cycleway if it goes along a road, you can't
>> use the road by bike any more, unless the cycleway is blocked, or for
>> other reasons in unusable conditions or goes to where you don't want
>> to go.
>
> In that case, where one legally has to use the sidepath, the main roadway
> should be tagged bicycle=no or bicycle=local.

no.
It is an implication and as I tried to say, there are exceptions (if
the usage of the cycleway is not reasonable, be if for its condition
(snow, state of the paving, littering, parked cars, ...) or because it
goes where you don't want to go, say you wanted to turn left and it
goes straight).

cheers,
Martin