[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - daycare

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Apr 22 00:53:04 BST 2011

On 4/21/11 7:46 PM, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 21/04/2011 16:13, Flaimo wrote:
>> created a proposal for amenity=daycare:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/daycare
>>
>> more information on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daycare
>
> "day care" is a very vague and ambiguous term. I assumed it referred
> to care of elderly or disabled people etc.
> As the proposal seems it refers to specifically child care, it would
> be better to specify that in the tag name. So amenity=child_care or
> something.
>
> Also, it needs to clarify how this is different from
> amenity=kindergarten. Is it just for after-school care / care of
> school-age children?
typically, day care for children in the US can start with infants, and
kindergarden
is usually a single year for 5 year olds between day care and primary
school.
kindergarden might be offered by a daycare for their oldest children, or by
primary schools for children who will be attending 1st grade.

there are also day cares for adults/disabled in the US, which probably
could be
factored in.

richard