[Tagging] branch=* tag to specify the particular branch of a chain of stores/amenities

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 01:33:33 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:26 AM, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 07:34 +0800, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>> According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:brand
>>
>>     "The brand=* is a larger entity that a place advertises itself as part of"
>>
>> Which means that you put "Burger King" or "Barclay's" or "McDonald's"
>> into the brand tag.
>
> I thought in this case, we use operator=* ?
>
> >From wiki.. The operator tag is used to name a company, corporation,
> person or any other entity who is in charge of the operation of a
> certain map object.
>
> I think the branch/location could simply be added to the name tag.
>
> amenity=bank
> operator=Bank of the Philippines
> name=Bank of the Philippines Almanza Uno Las Piñas
>
> This is for example how I tag chain restaurants, with the
> location/branch appended to the name tag.

We thought about it but putting the location/branch into the name tag
makes it harder to collect all of the banks under the same "brand".
Take note that due to mergers and acquisitions, multiple banks may be
under the same operator. In addition, putting the branch name into the
name tag makes it longer and harder to render. I prefer putting that
separable piece of information into a separate tag in the first place.