[Tagging] parking spaces limited to cars (no busses, trucks, etc.)

Sebastian Hohmann mail at s-hohmann.de
Sat Apr 30 12:08:40 BST 2011

Am 30.04.2011 12:10, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> 2011/4/29 Stefan Bethke<stb at lassitu.de>:
>> It appears that people have been using "car" as a key for this purpose.  Should I use that, and add an appropriate entry below motorcar=*?
>

> -1
> IMHO motorcar should be defined as automobile/car, and not be used as
> a generic term including busses, hgv, goods and other. If we had car
> and motorcar parallelly this would create a lot of confusion.
>
> I'd also like to point at "motor_vehicle" which doesn't seem to be
> defined reasonably (it includes all vehicles with a motor, like mofas
> and mopeds with 25 / 50 ccm motors). In theory (by the name and
> category) it would also include motor-boats, RC cars and spacecraft
> ;-) ("any motorized vehicle"). This is not a useful definition in
> respect to traffic laws of the countries I know of (there is a
> definition gap for a class that does not include for example mofas and
> assisted bicycles).

I can only speak about German laws, since I don't know the situation in
other countries. This is also how I see the situation.

"motorcar" is supposed to represent the class of "Zeichen 251" (shows a
car from the front), which forbids all double-tracked motor vehicles
(which includes hgv and buses etc).

"car" is supposed to represent the class of "Zusatzzeichen 1048-10"
(shows a car from the *side*), which applies only to passenger cars (so
no hgv or buses etc).

"motor_vehicle" is supposed to represent the class of "Zeichen 260"
(shows a motorcycle from the side and below a car from the front), which
forbids all motorcyles, mofas etc as well as all double-tracked motor
vehicles.

So all these classes exist and are needed in Germany. The situation
might be slightly different in other countries, but in a project like
OSM, I don't think we can ever agree on a definition that fits every
little detail and is applicable world-wide.

Best regards,
Sebastian