[Tagging] mapping static museum ships

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:10:04 BST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can reuse the existing entrance tags. According to the Richard Fairhurst
> duck test, if it looks like a ship, is floating like a ship, it's a ship...
> not a building magically floating on the water ;-)

By the same test, a parked ship looks like a building, acts like a
building, has entrances like a building... Tagging is not about
whether an object naturally conforms to our understanding of the
English word, but whether it has the right salient properties that
should be usefully shown on a map. I don't know if we have a strict
definition of "building" but I would go with something like "a
man-made structure with walls that is by default inaccessible to the
average pedestrian". We could equally ask, how would you micromap a
shipwreck...

I would think something like the following would be logical:
building=yes
tourism=attraction
attraction=ship

Steve