[Tagging] How to tag destroyed stuff?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 05:30:42 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is this fundementally different than any other disused bridge?

Overnight destruction is noteworthy, whereas slow decay into disuse is
not. There are signs and safety barriers around the destroyed bridges,
there are detours in place. A big red, eye-catching cross on a
destroyed bridge makes sense -  locals would probably know the bridge
and expect it to be there, so the big red cross alerts them to the
change.

>is their removal permanent, or are they to be rebuilt? if they are going
>to be rebuilt in substantially the same place, i'd just set access=no
>with a README=destroyed by storm 201y-mm-dd, to be rebuilt, ETA 201y-mm-dd

Well obviously there is a time between when it's destroyed and when
there are firm plans for rebuilding. I'm presuming they would both be
rebuilt at some point.

IMHO a "README" is not the right approach as it is not shown to
consumers of the map.

>or something on that order. if they're gone and not going to be rebuilt, just
>remove them (as we're not good at historical data like this at present.)

Agreed, or maybe changed to abandoned=*.

Steve