[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Directional node

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:44:58 BST 2011

I just looked at the proposal, and it seems a valid extension of the
restriction relations in my eyes, but you cannot call it a "directional
node". The proposal would work very bad for things like benches.

For benches, you would need to add an extra node and an extra relation. That
is far more work than adding a tag. And even with the extra node and extra
relation, the use of "from" and "to" is still tricky.

So I would support this proposal if it were limited to restrictions like
"stop" signs and "give away" signs. But not for general nodes. For general
nodes I would go with a direction=* tag. The values can be degrees (to be
exact) or abbreviated directions like NE (North-East) or SSW
(South-South-West) as shown
here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction#Additional_points
.