[Tagging] Relations (was directions)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:59:41 BST 2011

On 8/9/2011 11:34 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
> 2011/8/9 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com <mailto:pieren3 at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com
>     <mailto:emacsen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     A big +1.
>     I'm afraid that people promoting relations (once they understand the
>     concept, they want to use it everywhere) are not the one editing
>     often the map data ...
>

> -1. I use them often, and I would like to see them used more. They're
> not that difficult to deal with with current editors (I'm thinking JOSM,
> which automatically adds split ways to the relation and asks what to do
> when joining multiple ways).

Occasionally I'll come across a value like name=East Main Street; West
Main Street or lanes=2; 4, almost always caused by someone merging ways
without checking tags. It's much more common to see this happen for
relations, where someone joins two ways that have the same tags but only
one is part of a relation, hence breaking the relation. The existing
tools are not sufficient for preventing or fixing these problems.