[Tagging] man_made=crane

Mihkel Rämmel rm87 at hot.ee
Tue Aug 23 09:04:45 BST 2011

As the tag for rails is really missing should it be
man_made=crane_rail or man_made=crane with crane:rail=yes
I would prefer the first option or some other tag as the second one
might look like there are 3 separate cranes.

About values of crane:type it seems like spaces need removing and the
possible values would be:
portal_crane : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/8/82/Portalkran.jpg/90px-Portalkran.jpg
floor-mounted_crane ??? what would this be? or is it unneccesary value?
travel_lift http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Travellift.jpg/120px-Travellift.jpg
container_crane
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Container_cranes_Bremerhaven.jpg/220px-Container_cranes_Bremerhaven.jpg
gantry_crane http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Brosen_gantry_crane.jpg/800px-Brosen_gantry_crane.jpg
slewing_pillar_crane  aka jib crane
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dc/Pedestal_Jib.jpg/200px-Pedestal_Jib.jpg
bridge_crane :(difference from gantry craneit does not have moving
"feet" and it's rails are located on permanent "legs" )
http://www.naicranes.com/cranes/images/Dscn0301.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_%28machine%29  lists even more types.
Did I miss some important types or list some unimportant ones?

Mihkel

2011/8/22 *M∡rtin Koppenhoefer *dieterdreist at gmail.com *wrote:*
2011/8/18 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
>* several cranes sharing the same set of rails, and I think it would be
*>* legitimate to describe the rails and the crane (in some indicative
*>* central position) separately.
*

+1, IMHO there is a key missing for the rails because railway=rail is
not the tag we should use for cranes.

In the wiki the suggested values for crane:type also seem not to fit
well in our general tagging scheme:
crane:type=*                <Portal crane|Floor-mounted crane|Travel Lift>

(because of the spaces and capitalization).

Looking at the actual values in use there seems space for wiki optimization:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crane%3Atype#values

cheers,
Martin