[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Combined bicycle & footway

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:47:13 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> I could see some benefit to splitting the tag into two - say,
> highway=cycle for "bikes only", highway=cycle+foot for "bikes and
> pedestrians" - and doing (whisper it) a mass change along country lines.

But then you lose the distinction between "a path that you can legally
ride on" and "a path designed for riding on". As a cyclist, I care
about that distinction. Anyway, I doubt there is a simple solution
which will solve every problem everywhere. I would really like a
resolution to the highway=path situation though - is there a
difference between highway=footway and highway=path,foot=designated or
not?

Steve