[Tagging] [Imports] New module to merge-sort imports over time (osmfetch python)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Aug 26 03:48:49 BST 2011

> if the data is "mastered elsewhere", don't import it into OSM.
If OSM is just a unique repository of hand collected data, sure, that's
right.

If OSM is an end result (e.g. published maps) then we should be talking
about how valuable the particular data is to viewers... or creating a
way to merge the hand-collected repository with other quality
repositories to produce useful mapping products.

Which is the more important goal?  I hope the script I'm working is
compatible with either goal, and helps by improving the quality of
imports that are done.

> even if you can't be convinced to put this information in the
> changeset (which would be preferable as Frederik told you as well),
> please consider using just one tag. E.g. source:license is not
> important once the data is in OSM: all OSM data is distributed under
> the same license. Source:website is information that doesn't belong to
> the dataset IMHO, it would be better put (together with the license
> information) on a wiki page.

source:license was meant to point to the license documentation that
permits the import.  I don't mind leaving it out, or moving it to the
changeset.

source:pkey has to remain on the node/way, as that runs the conflation
process.

I will extend JOSM as needed so the changeset tags can be set
automatically (the whole goal here is automation and repeatability).