[Tagging] [Imports] New module to merge-sort imports over time (osmfetch python)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Aug 26 13:24:13 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> The automated tool in question already shows the human operator the diff: so
> a human is still in control.  Perhaps it could be extended to detect and
> flag any potential edit wars (e.g. same tag 'corrected' twice)?  Would that
> satisfy the objection?

Bryce, very cool tool, thanks for your work!

Remember, tools aren't evil, people are evil! :) It sounds like this
tool is configurable enough that it should be able to satisfy our
requirements. The primary focus of this tool seems to be monitoring of
existing objects for changes, either in an external dataset or in OSM,
and helps a _human_ with the process of reconciling those differences.
OSM is supposed to reflect reality, and sometimes the external dataset
and sometimes OSM will be wrong, we want OSM to be corrected to what
is right.

The tool discussion really belongs in dev@, and maybe imports at . Issues
of tagging should be handled on a case by case basis on the tagging@
list or one of the regional lists.