[Tagging] [Imports] New module to merge-sort imports over time (osmfetch python)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Aug 26 17:00:37 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>
>> But if the fast-food chain claims a store is closed, well... I'd go with
>> that as first cut.
>
> Ok for the first import, but if subsequently a mapper tags it as closed,
> then for OSM it is closed.

Not necessarily. OSM reflects reality, therefore if the person doing
this merge _knows_ this store is open, then OSM should be corrected.
Remember that whoever is doing this merge/import is becoming a part of
the OSM community, they are a contributor just like you and me. Just
because they might not be manually surveying or using other
traditional OSM techniques, it does not mean they should be excluded
from our community.

Of course the person doing this merge should exercise due diligence.
If their records show a store is closed, but OSM shows it as open, the
person should call the store or somehow verify the information is
correct and up to date. I think Bryce has made it clear that this tool
is meant to facilitate what is normally a laborious process,
conflating data, and is not meant to automatically squash data other
OSM contributors have made.

Now those who use this tool must understand all this, and know that
their data is only welcome in OSM if it is accurate and timely, and
that OSM is not a dumping ground for data.

-Josh