[Tagging] Another sidewalk question

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sat Aug 27 14:44:38 BST 2011

2011/8/27 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:
> I would not tag the white and black-striped area of the road as a sidewalk.
> Whoever invented the black-white striping probably did not intend it to be a
> designated pedestrian area, more something of a no drive zone, probably some
> kind of safety issue concerning the joining roads.
> /Johan Jönsson, Sweden-do not know anything about american sidewalks, really.

+1. A sidewalk or even just a footway is a separate way, whereas the
striped area is really just a shoulder. Of course you'd want to make
sure you connect the other footways to the roads, so a router can send
someone along this strip. In the future someone might tag the section
of road with something like "shoulder:width=4 ft",
"shoulder:surface=asphalt", "shoulder:type=striped", etc., which
routers could use to determine the safety level this section.

-Josh