[Tagging] Is a sidewalk always adjacent to a traversable road?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Aug 27 23:27:40 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are also mowed grassy strips within highway rights-of-way that are
>> sidewalks by law (at least where used enough to become a beaten path:
>> http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/ped_bike/laws/ped_bike_pedLaws.shtm), but
>> not for the purpose of the sidewalk tags in OSM.
>
> Why not?

"A sidewalk (also sometimes footway/pavement/footpath/platform) is
that part of a highway set aside for the use of pedestrians, often
separated from the carriageway (or roadway) by a kerb (also curb)."

"That portion of a street between the curbline, or the lateral line,
of a roadway and the adjacent property lines, intended for use by
pedestrians."

Seems pretty much identical to me.  Part of a highway/street, set
aside for / intended for use by, pedestrians.