[Tagging] [Imports] Bus data for Fairfax Connector, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sun Aug 28 01:43:29 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
>> On 8/27/2011 3:09 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>>
>>> Skip the name for a bus stop.  If rendered it would create clutter.
>>
>>  I'd say the opposite; the stop name is very useful to anyone using the
>> "Public Transport" JOSM plugin to check and organize stops so that stops can
>> be recognized, rather than just working with a column of anonymous stops.
>>  It also assists riders following a printed set of directions.    The name
>> doesn't currently render on Mapnik or Osmarender.
>
> A bus stop name or ID number is generally useful for navigation.
>
> The issue of "if rendered' is one where the right answer is always "We
> don't map to the renderer".

If there's no name designated for the stop, then wouldn't it be
"tagging for the router" to put a name on it?

However, I think it's appropriate to put a name on it. The county has
been developing a GTFS feed, so I'll ask next week what names they are
assigning to stops for that purpose, as stop_name is a required field
in GTFS, and it would be good to be consistent.

>> The only caution to assigning a name is that GTFS discourages making up names for stops that haven't been given formal names.

Where can I find this recommendation? All I see in the spec is:
"stop_name - Required. The stop_name field contains the name of a stop
or station. Please use a name that people will understand in the local
and tourist vernacular."

-Josh