[Tagging] Is a sidewalk always adjacent to a traversable road?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Aug 28 03:53:00 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting this whole thread out of the black hole it's gone into: was it the
> intention of those creating the footway=sidewalk and sidewalk=* tags that:
> *They be consistent with each other: if a footway would be tagged as a
> sidewalk, then the parallel highway would have a sidewalk tag (at least if
> the footway is not separately mapped) and vice versa?

I don't think the creators of footway=sidewalk gave much thought to
this.  On the proposal page, they call footway=sidewalk "a different
but not necessarily conflicting way to tag sidewalks".

> *They include or not include informal desire lines created by walking on the
> grass strip on the side of the road?

I think the answer is neither.  They neither explicitly include nor
explicitly exclude this.

> If there's no agreement on the latter, there's no point in using the
> sidewalk tags.

Feel free not to use them.