[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Aug 29 23:05:26 BST 2011

On 29/08/2011 22:17, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> Landuse is a general description of what the predominant landuse is. 
> Hence if a residential subdivision includes a community park or golf 
> course, or an industrial park includes a McDonald's, you don't need to 
> cut them out of the polygon.

I disagree with this. People don't live/reside in parks.

By your logic whole countries such as the UK could be an area tagged as 
grass/fields because that's the "predominant landuse is". You have to 
map to a certain level of detail. Mapping the difference between a 
residential estate & a golf course is, IMO, the bare minimum.

Following your example, how would you produce a map that showed just 
where domestic housing was or calculate the area taken by this housing.

Dave F.

More information about the Tagging mailing list