[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:59:41 BST 2011

2011/8/30 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> Some mappers in my area go house by house, parcel by parcel,
> creating hugely detailed multipolygons that also happen to be wrong far too
> often.  Trying to map around this mess is unpleasant.
> The current landuse tagging leads to complex multipolygons which are
> fragile, in part because not all mappers understand them.

I agree, multipolygons tend to become complexer by the time. The
solution to this problem is granularity, splitting bigger landuse
areas into smaller ones, which are locally limited and allow for more
transparency, faster parsing times and easier editability because you
don't need multipolygons for mapping landuse.

> If we could default a larger admin_level polygon to a landuse (e.g.
> residential, farm) then it significantly reduces the mapping clutter.  At
> that point you just mark the exceptions.

IMHO this is exactly driving us into a multipolygon mess, hard to edit
and timeconsuming to use, with unneeded complexity.

cheers,
Martin